Thursday, October 28, 2010

Global Day and a Cold

On Tuesday, Soonchunhyang celebrated all of the countries represented in our program with the Global Day. It is a festival where every country can share their culture and the Sister Universities (SEMO included) could advertise their study abroad program. I am the only student from SEMO, so I worked at the SEMO table, inviting Korean students to consider studying at SEMO. My friends from Thailand wore their traditional dress, which is a sleeveless silk dress. It was about 40 degrees outside, so they were freezing! It was nice though to see their traditional dress, so beautiful! Global Day reinforced the feelings I had about the program here at Soonchunhyang: It is beautiful that so many people from different countries can come together in this awesome country to study and grow as individuals together. I feel so blessed and honored to have this learning experience. I have learned that we have so much more in common in this world than our differences. A friendly smile, a comforting hug, and an infectous laugh are universal.

Oh, I have learned about another thing that is universal: A Cold. No matter where you are in the world, a virus can always find you. I realized that when I woke up Sunday morning completely congested. I am feeling better now and I hope this will be my only cold for the winter.

Tomorrow is the field trip with the entire international program, including the Korean students in our dorm. We are going to the east coast of Korea and we will be hiking in one of the National Parks. We are also celebrating Halloween with a party. All of my suitemates have been preparing their Halloween costumes since this is their first Halloween. Korea doesn't celebrate Halloween, so they have been asking me about the holiday and what "Trick or Treat" means. I'm really excited because I haven't been to the eastern part of Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment