Thursday, September 30, 2010

Korean cards and a Squid head

I think Thursday is my favorite day of the school week. I have three exchanges with five different Korean students. They are tons of fun and I really enjoy our time together. Today, I was supposed to have three exchanges. Only one of my exchanges came, the other two were sick. In my exchange I learned how to play a Korean card game with Korean cards. Korean cards are smaller and made of plastic. They do not have the numbers and characters like the Western cards. Instead they have different pictures and they are grouped in fours for each number. So there are four "eight" cards, each with a different, but similar design. I loved the card game. It's hard to explain, but I would love to teach you guys when I get home.

This evening, I went with Stella and four of the Japanese students to a restaurant in town for dinner. We went to a Korean restaurant, which included the traditional seating on the floor (so fun!). In most Korean restaurants, you order a group dish and eat from it as a group. The Japanese girls ordered for us a seafood noodle soup. It had a variety of seafood: crab, shrimp, shellfish, and squid. What is so unusual about Korean seafood dishes is that they serve the fish whole, leaving you to "prepare" the fish into more bite size pieces. Me and Stella left the "preparation" to the Japanese girls. They told us that the squid head is the best part, which I was already hesitant to try even the tentacles. However, I did try the head, which was pretty good. It was very chewy and didn't taste too fishy. The Japanese students were shocked that I can't buy squid at home.

This weekend, I am hoping to tour the southern part of the province. I am hoping to visit a nearby national park to go hiking or to see a nearby temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment