Saturday, August 20, 2011

One Year in Asia

Ok, I really need to keep up with this blogging stuff, especially when I have a lot to say about the past few weeks. I will get these posts up as soon as possible about Taiwan.

I realized today that it was a year ago that I boarded a plane for South Korea to begin this adventure. A year ago, I wouldn't have considered that the adventure would continue to see this day. But life has a tendency to move in directions not initially anticipated. I am so glad that this adventure of learning and traveling has been extended. In a year, I have lived in Korea, I have visited Japan, China, Taiwan, Thailand, North Korea (for all of ten minutes but I'll still put it on the list), and now currently Hong Kong.

I arrived safely in Hong Kong this morning. Last night was filled with goodbyes from everyone in Taiwan (more in a future post about Taiwan). Me and Cana left by bus to Taipei (Chiayi is in the southern part of Taiwan while Taipei is on the northern tip) at 2am to get to the airport before our flights. I flew out of Taiwan in the early morning and arrived around 9am. Landing in Hong Kong was one of the most interesting experiences I have had on a plane. I couldn't see the land until we were almost to the ground (the airport is on an island outside the city). After a very long customs line and exchanging some money, I took the airport train to downtown. Once downtown, I took a taxi to the Hong Kong International School, where Mike Kersten teaches. I will be couch surfing at his apartment while touring the city and visiting a friend from school.

Amazing how far you can come in a year!

1 comment:

  1. My, time certainly flies, doesn't it? in one way, it doesn't seem like a year since we spent time at the airport before you left for Korea, but in another way, it seems like I haven't seen you in FOREVER! I try to keep up with your blog as much as possible - you have educated and entertained and surprised me with each post. Carol Jean

    ReplyDelete