Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Conference and Border Tension


Today I went to a school sponsered conference in Seoul that discussed the development of regions to benefit the global economy. The official name of the conference was "International Forum of Regional Development." About twenty students from Soonchunhyang went to listen to speakers from around the world talking about ways that small communities can survive in the global economy.

We had to meet in front of school at 7:30. I overslept and woke up at 7:20! I scrambled to get my stuff together and I got on the bus a few minutes before we left. The conference was held in the auditorium that the G20 was held a few weeks before, pretty cool! In the morning, there were a few speakers summerizing several approaches local communities can stimulate their economy by utilizing local products to attract a larger consumer group.

The conference provided lunch. The conference was held in one of the nicest hotels in Seoul, and we ate at the hotel restaurant. It was a buffet with lots of different cuisines: sushi, ribs, lamb chops, crab legs, and Korean food. There was this great fruit bar as well with lots of fresh fruit (which is quite expensive in Korea compared to the US). It was an awesome lunch and made the day a whole lot better.

After lunch was more speakers in the conference room. When the speakers spoke other languages, we were provided earpieces with a translator. It was pretty cool, I felt like I was at the UN or something! I learned a lot about the importance of small regions to maintain their identity by selling local products rather than producing foreign products. I think as the world shrinks, we are losing the individuality of different regions. I really liked the premise of this conference because it promoted this return to individuality.

On our way back to school, I saw on the TV (every bus has a huge flat screen TV at the front for the passengers to watch) that North Korea attacked two of South Korea's western islands. It was a retaliation towards the military drills that South Korea has been practicing for the last week. One Korean marine was killed and there is a lot of tension at the border. I could tell that it was serious because the usually happy-go-lucky newsreporters didn't have their typical smile but instead a solemn look. The director from the international program that went with us to the conference reassured us that this happens almost every year, and if it escalated to a more serious problem, he would let us know.

Personally, I am not worried. I know, here I am in one of the most dangerous countries (The South and the North technically are still at war since the South refused to sign a peace agreement back in the 1950's), but the way I see it: I am more likely to die or get seriously hurt back in the States. More people die of car accidents or violence in the US than from North Korean bombs. I don't want to live in fear of what may happen and pass chances of a lifetime (like coming to study in Korea). If it is my time to leave this earth, it will happen regardless of what I do. I will not deny opportunities that will enrich my life just because of the possible risks. I don't think this makes me brave or crazy, it's just the way I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment