Friday, September 3, 2010

Music and Models

I am convinced that music is the most universal language. I went to listen to the Soonchunhyang orchestra yesterday for their fall concert. I went with Jin Ju, a Korean student on my floor. She is very sweet and loves to watch silly youtube videos with me.
The orchestra played Disney, Andrew Llyod Webber, Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance, and one of my favorites: Beethoven's 5th symphoney. Last year, I had to write a research paper on Beethoven's 5th. I think it displays the power of the human spirit better than any other song I have heard. For those who would like a brief history about the piece, Beethoven wrote his 5th after learning that he was losing his hearing, the sense that allowed him to appreciate his passion: music. He contemplated suicide and confined himself in his home for months after learning this. He wrote this piece to show himself and the world that his diability would not hinder his ability to continue his passion. The piece shows his frustration in the first part, but it concludes with a powerful, hopeful theme.
I was reminded during the concert that music is a bridge of communication. Even though I cannot understand much of the Korean language, I could listen to the same music with Koreans and enjoy the music with them. That is the reason why I think music is so awesome. People can come from many different backrounds, but can still listen to music together.
At the end of the concert, the orchestra played two encore pieces (I put them on shutterfly, see if you can recognize them). They also played the school song.
So, crazy thing happened today: I was approached by a model agent. Weird huh? Dad and I were joking about how I would become a celebrity in Korea because of my height and blond hair, I didn't think I would be approached at school like that! I was walking from lunch with Dyra and Bermet and these two Korean men came up to us. They said they work for a modeling agency and they want me to be in a TV fashion show. They didn't understand English very well, so Dyra helped me understand their fragmented English. I tried to politely tell them that I wasn't interested because I am here to study, not to model. They gave me their card and asked for my number, when Bermet told them in Korean that I don't have a phone (Thanks Bermet!). This has become the joke of the day. We decided to practice our modeling (pictures on shutterfly, very funny) I don't think any of us could be models.
All of my classes are awesome. Here they are: Korean speaking, Korean writing, Korean folk music, Korean history, and a class called South and North Korea. I also have a 6 credit English exchange course where I meet with Korean students and talk with them in English about anything. That will not start for another few weeks. I have learned the entire Korean alphabet and can read some Korean. Understanding written or spoken Korean is a whole different story. With time, I'm sure it will get easier. My South and North Korea teacher used to work for Korea in the UN. He is very knowledable about the history and politics between the two Koreas. I'm very excited about learning more about South and North Korea from a Korean standpoint.
Tonight, the UNO group is getting together for round three of "geisha" UNO (for complete rules, see the previous post). We are also hoping to watch a movie or make music videos. Should be crazy fun.
Tommorow, I am planning to go with Dyra, Bermet and a few other UNO buddies to see a traditional Korean village or something else in the province. Hopefully we will have good weather. It has rained everyday for a few hours because it is typhoon season.

No comments:

Post a Comment