Thursday, September 9, 2010

A few hours in Cheonan

Today, I didn't have any classes. I was able to make my schedule with a day off during the week. Since I didn't have a class, I invited Stella (or Csilla) to come with me to Cheonan. Stella is from Hungary and she is a very interesting person. She came to Korea because two years ago, she began to watch Korean movies and felt a connection to the Korean culture. She is absolutely adorable because she loves everything Korean! She is very knowledgeable about Korean history and culture, plus she speaks Korean fairly well. She didn't have a class today either, so we hopped on the subway for Cheonan.

When we got to Cheonan, we stopped for lunch. We had one of favorite Korean dishes: Samgyopsal. Samgyopsal is a traditional Korean dish. The server brings out a skillet with pork, garlic, and onions. You cook your meat at your table on a burner built into your table. They also bring out many side dishes (including kimchi of course.) When the meat is cooked, you take a piece and wrap it in a piece of lettuce with the vegetables and eat it. It is so good (I think when I get back to the States, I'm going to open a Samgyopsal restaurant, could be the next Starbucks.)

After we ate, we went to a park in Cheonan. It was raining, so the park was empty. It was very peaceful walking through the gardens and to have a relaxing day after a week of classes. On our way back to school, we stopped in the underground mall in Cheonan. It had over fifty stores and it was under a large street. It was a new experience for me to walk around stores with the sound of traffic above me.

When we got back, we had our orientation with the Korean students. Many of the students didn't come because it was optional for them, however it was mandatory for us. The entire ceremony was in Korean, so I have no clue what they talked about.

In two weeks, I have a nine day break for Chuseok (Korean thanksgiving). I am hoping to go to Seoul and see more of the city with the Byeons.

No comments:

Post a Comment