Monday, August 30, 2010

First day of class

Today was my first day of classes at Soonchunhyang. After a great weekend of meeting so many new people and having fun around campus, it's time to start classes. We had a welcome dinner on Friday with Korean, Japanese, and American food. I ate my first octopus, which didn't have too much taste. It was nice to meet the other international students that I didn't get a chance to talk to in orientation.
Last night, I played UNO with some of the girls from the suite upstairs. They are students from other countries in Asia. They are in our program, but they do not have to meet with the Korean students for English exchange. They are so funny and it was great to talk about music and movies with girls from so many countries. We played UNO with Indonesian rules where the loser get powdered with baby powder! My roomate moved in last night. Her name is Mi-So and she speaks English very well. She is also very tall for Korea and was excited to meet a girl who is taller than her. She wants to become a doctor (kudos to her, I'm terrible around needles!) and loves to watch movies. I also met some of her friends from her classes. They were very funny and patient when I continued to forget their names (I am horrible at remembering names and trying to remember so many names from all around the world is so hard).
Today, I first had a weekly meeting with the other international students. Carrie and I were unsure about what time we were supposed to meet so we were an hour early. We opened our bank account while we were waiting and had breakfast. After our meeting it was time to hit the books! My first class was Korean speaking. We went through part of the alphabet and pronunciation of the vowels. So far so good! My teacher is very sweet and patient with my class.
After class I went to lunch in the cafeteria with Dyra, an international student from Indonesia. She is sooo funny and loves to listen to Jordin Sparks, Usher, and others. After lunch I went to Korean history. The teacher went over the syllabus and let us leave very early.
I came back to my dorm and fell asleep for two hours! I woke up, confused about how I could sleep for so long when I was going to just read a book. I went to dinner with Xian-Chen, a Chinese student who is so adorable. I met her two days ago. The first thing she said to me is "Hello I'm Xian-Chen and you are the first American I have met, we will be friends!" She introduced me to her boyfriend in Beijing via skype and asks me a lot of questions about America. She is very sweet and has taught me more about China.
Tomorrow, I have Korean speaking and writing. I also have Korean drumming, which I am very excited about. I am having a great time learning so much about Korea and meeting so many diverse people. This weekend I am hoping to go to a traditional Korean village not to far from Asan.

1 comment:

  1. octopus, eh? After looking at the photos of all the seafood dishes at the dinner, I can't wait to take you Red Lobster when you get home! Glad you got to take Korean drumming! I guess I know what you'll be bringing home. Are you following mom's journey on the blog? All is well at home. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete