Saturday, October 15, 2011

Fall Sports Festival

Today was Global Village's annual Sports Festival. This semester, there were four teams of a combination of guys and girls suites. My suite was on team A along with five other suites.

The games were held in the gym this semester, which was nice considering it was cold and rainy outside. We had five events this semester: Human bridge (my personal favorite), relay races, tug of war, pass the cup, and mini games (individual basketball shots). After a practice cheer round and warm ups led by Sanghyeop, one of our coordinators, we began the games.

I played in tug of war, human bridge and pass the cup. Because there were so many people on each team, each person only had to play in two or three games. It was fun to cheer the other events. Last semester, everyone had to play everything, and I didn't have an opportunity to watch other games.

My team took first place overall, however we did not have as much team spirit as group D, which was led by our British student Richard in cheers with a giant blue trash tub. I think he picked up a few ideas from the soccer game last week, coordinating motions with the cheers. Sadly, good cheering doesn't equal good athletics, his team placed last among the four. However, his team would win "best team spirit" award for sure.

After a fun time with all the students living in Global Village, it was time for lunch! We had some BBQ along with some good Korean food (Lots of Kimchi). At the luncheon, I ran into a former student that was here my first semester, Greg. He studied at SCH for two years and is pretty fluent in Korean. He's teaching at a Hogwon (private school) in the middle of the countryside. It was fun to recall memories from my first semester and to catch up with him and hear about his time in the USA before coming back to work in Korea. It is interesting how my path is crossing again with some people I met my first semester. It makes me feel like I have been here a lot longer than I have, seeing people complete one phase of life and begin another.

This coming week is regular classes and next week is Midterms. It will a busy few weeks with tests and projects due, but I hope to go visit some family after my exams, just in time to celebrate with Kyunghye over her completed college entrance exam!

No comments:

Post a Comment