Monday, March 14, 2011

White Day and Ariyang

So, today was another obscure Korean holiday. My Korean suitemates told me that every month there is a holiday. I think it's to keep the Hallmark like businesses in business. Anyway, so White Day is the sister holiday to Valentines Day. On Valentines Day, girls give gifts to boys. On White Day guys give gifts to girls. Next month is Black Day, which is singles day, where you eat a black noodle dish with your single friends. Very strange holidays, but still interesting how Korean culture likes to have celebrations.

Also today, my friend Bermet filmed her section of Ariyang TV. Ariyang is a TV program that does little competitions. They wanted to film here at SCH, and asked some of the international students as well as Korean to compete for a scholarship. Bermet is fluent in five languages, so they asked her to compete. Today, they filmed a little documentary about her and her life here at SCH. She asked me to do a segment with her, so I may be on Ariyang TV! Exciting, my Korean TV debut! For our segment, I played the typical Western student (no Korean language experience), asking her a question about Korean. It was so fun to see how scripted these "real" shows are here in Korea. They try so hard to make it look natural, but it is scripted even more than I had initially thought. I hope Bermet wins the competition, she has worked so hard to prepare for Ariyang. I will keep you guys updated about the Ariyang results (I am also looking to see if I can find a recording of Bermet's section).

No comments:

Post a Comment