Friday, March 11, 2011

To Be Continued....

Well, things around here sure are getting interesting! I had mentioned that God was shutting a door, but opening a new opportunity, here it is...

Initially, I planned to be here in Korea for two semesters. From what I understood, two semesters in Korea would meet my language and culture requirements for my Global Studies major. This semester, I am learning a lot more Korean, and I feel that I am appreciating the culture so much more. I really wanted to stay for a third semester because I believe that I have so much more to learn. However, I believed that my requirements would be met in two semesters. Why would I stay if I needed to return home to finish my degrees? My requirement was completed, so it makes sense to go back to my home university.

I was really torn about this for the past month. I would have dreams about being back at my home university and wake up in tears. Don't get me wrong, I really like SEMO. I love my friends, professors, and St Andrews, my church home at SEMO. However, I love Korea and I don't believe that my education here in Korea is quite finished. I want to learn more of the language and culture before returning home. I prayed about it for the past month, asking for clarity about where God wants me to be after this semester is over. He sure likes making things black and white for me!

Earlier last week, I emailed my advisers back home about registration for next semester at SEMO. I received an email from the Global Studies department saying that there was a misunderstanding about the amount of language credits I was required to take for the major. Instead of two semesters, I am required to take three. Because of this, I am required to stay at Soonchunhyang for a third semester to complete all the language credits. This means I will not be returning home this summer. I will be home at Christmastime after I complete my third semester here in Korea. I will then continue to study at SEMO to finish my degrees.

I was surprised to say the least, but at the same time, I felt a sense of peace about the news. I know this is where I am meant to be next semester. Because of this change in plans, I am unsure if I will be able to graduate in four years, but I am sure going to try my best to finish on time! I am so excited to have this opportunity to continue to study in this beautiful country.

The Adventure Continues!

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca..you mean those dreams I have about bein in high school still in my pjs...could mean something? u kill me...I knew God needed u there longer...enjoy yourself. I enjoy ur blogs...

    ReplyDelete