Thursday, August 26, 2010

First day at Soonchunhyang

Yesterday, I made it to school. The Byeons took me to the airport to meet a student from school who came to pick me up and two other students. The two students names are Annina from Finland and Csila from Hungary. They are both graduate students. We took two buses and after almost five hours, we made it to campus. The school is beautiful.
Last night after unpacking, I walked around campus and saw the mountains in the mist. At about 9 pm, one of the Korean students that will be staying in my suite came to unpack her stuff. She knew very little English but we tried to understand each other as much as we could. She showed me some her pictures from her trip to China last month and played a song by Trey Songs over and over. She told me it is her favorite song and now I see why!
This morning, I woke up and met the other American student that will be in my suite. Her name in Carrie. She is from Minnesota and arrived last night at midnight. We walked around the stores in the dorms. Today we had orientation. I got to meet the international students which was fantastic! There are people from over twenty different countries. I met students from Cambodia, Indonesia, Australia, Columbia to name a few. I also got to walk around Asan while some of the students took the Korean placement exam to place in higher Korean language classes. There are a lot of restaurants in Korea and it is very cheap to eat out. We went to a Korean restaurant for lunch and I had this huge bowl of Beef Gimbap which only cost 3500 won (about $3).
Tomorrow I will sign up for classes which I am very excited about. The Korean students move in Saturday and Sunday. We are supposed to start classes on Monday. I am having a great time meeting lots of different people from all over the world. I am excited to finally meet the Korean students that I will be living with for a semester.
(Oh, my dorm has satilite TV and I get FoxNews and CNN! I am so happy that I can watch American news to keep up with whats going on at home).

1 comment:

  1. Your pictures are wonderful. Korea doesn't look anything at all like what I thought. Your campus looks very nice. I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of your room after you get settled in.

    We leave for England tomorrow - YIPPEE!!

    ReplyDelete